- 360g All-Purpose Flour
- 14g Baking Powder
- 21g Table Salt
- 4 Large Eggs
- 256g Whole Milk (add some cream or something if you're using 2%, this recipe works better with the expected amount of fat!)
- 82g of Unsalted Butter, melted
- 403g Granulated Organic Sugar
- Zest of 2 Oranges, and some of the fresh squeezed juice
- 3 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- 130g Confectioner's Sugar (or run regular sugar through a blender until it is very fine)
- Preheat oven to 350F/177C
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, then run through a sifter/strainer to ensure thorough mixing.
- In a separate bowl, gently whisk together eggs and milk (we don't want to generate lots of air bubbles)
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir by hand until just combined.
- Stir in the Granulated Organic Sugar, Orange zest and Poppy seeds.
- Line two or three small loaf pants with parchment paper, lightly grease and dust with flour, put no more than 2 inches of batter in a single pan (they get stuck to the sides really easily if the loaf size is larger)
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from loaf pan, and cool on a wire rack about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the Confectioner's sugar and whisk in freshly squeezed orange juice until nice and smooth in consistency.
- Spoon the glaze over the bread, starting in the center and letting it ooze all over the sides.
This came out really well, and we will be making it again and again!